Monday, February 26, 2007

The World's Shortest Oscar Review

I don't usually watch the Oscars because they never feature the movies that I watch. I don't think I've seen an Oscar nominated film since On Golden Pond-- and I was forced to go see that because there was no babysitter. I think I've only seen one Oscars telecast in its entirety and that was the year that Halle and Denzel won. Gee, I wonder why I watched that year. It's the same old stuff every year: the red carpet stuff with Joan and Melissa, highlight clips featuring such "classic" moments as that idiot walking over the rows of chairs to get to the stage, some lame opening musical skit, awards for a bunch of art films and documentaries that I never heard of, then four hours later-- BEST MOVIE! So I just caught bits and pieces. The highlights (from the bits that I saw):

- I thought Ellen did well as a host. Most of the skits hit the mark.
- It was good to see Jennifer Hudson win for Best Supporting Actress. They kept cutting to Beyonce and her dad and you knew it was tearing his crazy ass apart. Beyonce did well in keeping up with the others during the musical skit. She ain't no lightweight!
- What was the last successful project that Jennifer Lopez was involved in? Hell, what was the last project that she was involved in?
- Cameron Diaz looked surprisingly human tonight. This was the best she's looked since The Mask.
- Worst dressed: Quincy Jones. I only saw it for a few seconds, but it was some type of silk robe thing. It was dangerously flirting with Admiral Outfit territory. Let's keep an eye on this brother.
- They didn't give any awards to the movies that I saw last year. Would it really have hurt to nominate The Rock for Gridiron Gang or That Guy for Superman?
- Can't wait for all of those Norbit nominations next year.

No comments: