Friday, February 9, 2007

Vickie Lynn Hogan, 1967-2007

It occurred to me that between the tabloids, gossip sites, TV, and that magazine that I read just for the articles, that I have been following the career of Anna Nicole Smith (born Vickie Lynn Hogan) for over 15 years. And from the Guess Jeans ads to Playmate of the Year to The Anna Nicole Show to all the courtroom drama, it was never a dull moment. No matter what it was though, her name always seemed to bring a smile to people's faces.

Is it fair to say that she was the Marilyn Monroe of our generation? I don't know; I wasn't around in the days of Marilyn Monroe. But I do know that we like our stars to have a tinge of scandal and she never failed to deliver. What other diva has provided all of these elements: a great rags to riches success story, stripping, substance abuse problems, single parenting, appearing in Playboy, a reality show, a marriage to a creepy old man, major weight gain, major weight loss, a Supreme Court case, paternity tests, a relationship with her shady lawyer, wacky awards show appearances, terrifically cheesy movies like To The Limit and Skyscraper (you must see these), classic appearances on the (real) Howard Stern Show, an annoying catchphrase on a national ad campaign, and becoming a staple of Entertainment Tonight and The National Enquirer.

I don't know if the Britneys and Lindsays of the world can ever top that track record. Not that they would want to. I know it's cliche to say this when someone dies, but I think this is truly a case when people can say that there will never be another one like her.

No comments: