Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Idol Thoughts


The guys were so lackluster, I didn't want to waste a whole post on them. I can't believe that someone even broke out "Knights in White Satin". Nobody really stepped up to where I was like "Aw, this is the man!". A couple of guys did well, but for the most part they were forgettable. One note: somebody get Sanjaya in touch with Britney so he can get that mop off of his head. Who's gonna win it this year: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it will be-- a generic white guy! Also, please GET RID OF PAULA ABDUL! I will only make this complaint about 20 more times this season.


The girls were much better. One piece of advice: Kids, ya gotta let Aretha, Stevie and Whitney go! You ain't ready for those songs. Hell, sometimes Stevie wakes up these days and probably says "Damn, I can't handle that Stevie today!" Here is my rundown of the girls:


1. Stephanie: She brought it! She set the pace for the night. Reminded me that I hadn't heard Prince's "How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore" since parachute pants and Beat It jackets were in style.

2. Amy: Killed the momentum of the show at the second performance.

3. Leslie: Are those... HOOKER BOOTS! Right on the American Idol stage? Wow! Incredible. Please don't vote her off (although she was dreadful). She could be this season's Kimberly Caldwell.

4. Sabrina: The Mya lookalike. Good job. She had good stage presense. Will need to step it up to hang with the big girls.

5. Eva Mendez' younger sister- It wasn't a bad rendition of "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" but it wasn't good enough to keep her off this week's chopping block.

6. Jordin- nice rendition of Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason". Excellent choice. She may float to number five or six.

7. Nicole: Chaka Kahn? Oh hells no! It was all wrong. She chose Chaka Kahn and Chaka Kahn took her ass right out of this competition. She may advance-- if every memeber of her extended family calls 1000 times.

8. Haley: Simon hilariously said that it sounded like something you might hear at a hotel. I say maybe even a motel. Nice how she just totally blew off the advice they gave her.

9. Melinda: She was my pick to win it. And she brought it. Probably will make it to number two, before getting beat by Haley the Hotel Lounge singer in the finals.

10. Alania: The pizza girl. She chopped up The Pretender's "Brass In Pocket" ("Middle of the Road" would have been more fitting). She just unravled as the song went along. I didn't like it. I do like pizza though.

11. Gina: Who let her on this show? She did NOT hit that note (as was pointed out later by Simon). If it wasn't for the forgettable girls at the top of the show, she would be in big trouble.

12. Lakisha: When they said she was going to do "And I Am Telling You", I thought to myself "Oh hell no!" That's like the worst possible choice right now because of the comparisons to Jennifer Hudson. She just simply tore it up. Wow! It was like she was on a different show than the rest of the girls. It would have even been better if they hadn't chopped the song up to fit a minute and a half. She's the one to beat.

Overall, it was a really good show from the excellent performances to the denial to the slutty fashion choices. It was funny watching the recap at the end and saying to myself "Oh, you poor thing" about eight times. From the guys, hopefully The Goatee and the annoying Shoeless Boy are going home. From the girls: probably Amy and unfortunately Hooker Boots. We'll see tomorrow.

No comments: