Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Random Thoughts During American Idol

Blake? Is that you?


It's the three way dance. Each contestant will sing three songs this week. They are also showing footage of the contestants back in their respective hometowns. I can barely stand the sappiness.

First Round: Judge's Choice

Our little Jordin is first. Simon picked "Wishing On A Star" by Rose Royce for her. Why this and not "Car Wash"? I haven't heard this song in ages. I'm sure I have at on a 45 downstairs somewhere. I'm old. Jordin had never heard of the song. DAMN. I'm ancient. She did a good job with it. Paula and Randy liked it, but Simon didn't like the jazzed-up arrangement. Hey, she didn't write the song. Anyway, good start. Footage of Blake in Washington. Exciting. Paula chose "Roxanne" by The Police for him. Eddie Murphy did it tons better in 48 Hours. Melinda closed out the round with "I Believe In You" by Whitney Houston, which Randy picked for her. Nails. The judges loved it and Simon rightfully declared her the winner of Round One.

Second Round: Producer's Choice

They chose "She Works Hard For The Money" by Donna Summer for Jordin. Isn't that song about prostitutes? No, really. Regardless, she performed it well. The hookers would be proud. Can the same be said of Maroon 5's feelings for Blake's version of "This Love"? Perhaps. It was decent; a cynic might say a tad bland. Learning nothing from last week, he did lapse back into the beatboxing. It was tired. The judges did like the performance though. During this song, it finally dawned on me who Blake reminds me of when he's singing: the lead singer of 80's group Wang Chung (above). It's uncanny. Melinda finished with a strong version of Ike and Tina's "Nutbush City Limits". It was another good showcase of her vocals. The judges approved, but declared the round a draw.

Third Round: Contestant's Choice

More footage of Jordin back in her hometown. She now had a star at the mall where she used to work. She rolled out "I Who Have Nothing" again and it worked I think it was good enough to get her to next week. was shown back at home with Sir Mix-A-Lot, who was just happy to be back on TV, as they performed "Baby Got Back" together. Sir said that Blake was the King of C-Town, for whatever that is worth. He did Robin Thicke's "When I Get You Alone" and was just aiiight. Melinda's hometown named a street after her. We did that for McGwire and look how that turned out. Melinda turned it out with "I'm A Woman" to end the show on a good note. Gotta believe that next week we will see Melinda vs. Jordin.

No comments: