Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Random Thoughts During American Idol


The Final Four. It's Barry Gibb Night (above, center, looking like the Burger King Guy). I don't know if this is going to work. I give props to the Bee Gees but damn, that was like 30 years ago. I don't know if this is the best way to showcase the performers. Plus Barry looks kinda weird now.

Everyone will sing twice tonight. Melinda starts it off. I'm not familiar with the song. As usual, she did well but the song was forgettable. The judges didn't particularly care for it either. Blake was next with "You Should Be Dancing". He pulled out all the beatbox theatrics and they just didn't fit. It was totally lame. It was like someone was doing a parody of him on SNL. The judges panned it. I don't think he understood. Lakisha followed with "Stayin' Alive". Nice job, but it was just kind of awkward. The Bee Gees songs are hard for other people to sing. The judges disliked it as well.

Jordin ended the first round with another song that I failed to recognize. She hit it though. Randy said it had kind of an Aretha/Mariah vibe. Paula and Simon liked it as well. She was declared the frontrunner, thus far.

Melinda rebounded strongly with "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?" She nailed it. Randy said she was back on track. Paula babbled endlessly. Simon thought the second half of the song put her into the semi-finals. That could be the kiss of death. Blake did "This Is Where I Came In", which I don't think even Barry Gibb had heard of. In a complete shocker, I didn't like it. If I can paraphrase Dave Chappelle, I wish I had four hands-- so I could give that song four thumbs down. As Randy pointed out, you don't have to beatbox on every song. Unless you happen to be a rapper from 1983. It appeared that Paula had been in the Hennessey again. Simon said that he had a bad night. Kind of an understatement.

Lakisha's second song was more of the same. Simon declared that she was on the chopping block. Jordin finished the show. Funny how that happened. She did well but the judges were lukewarm.

Tomorrow, Barry Gibb live and Blake or Lakisha get cut.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I will be so sad if Blake goes home but really? Tonight was just shiteous.

Hollywood said...

Yeah, it was a bad night for everyone. Now with Lakisha gone, it will be tough to call next week. Blake probably needs to drop the beatboxing gimmick next week. Have those hideous tattoos been on his arms all along?