Sunday, August 10, 2008

Isaac Hayes, 1942-2008

I didn't really know much about Isaac Hayes-- his music was a little bit before my time. Obviously though, I was still sad to hear about his passing today. He is best known for the theme song to the movie "Shaft" and recently for voicing the character of The Chef on the South Park cartoon. His name was also the punchline of one of my favorite lines from my all-time favorite show, Good Times. During one episode, JJ was hanging out with some ladies and one of them said "JJ, you're just about the coolest dude that I know!" Then he replied "Do you know Isaac Hayes? Because maybe I am!" In a pathetic instance of life imitating art, one day at work some broad actually said that I was the coolest guy that she knew. And of course, I rattled off that line. It's humiliating just thinking about it. Thanks, Mr. Hayes.

No comments: