Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bernie Mac, 1957-2008

I was sorry to hear about the passing of Bernie Mac, who died this morning of pneumonia. I am an avid fan of comedy and standup and he was one of my favorites. He was the last of the "Kings of Comedy" (with Steve Harvey, D.L. Hughley, and Cedric The Entertainer) to make it through to the mainstream audience and when he finally did it, he did it in a huge way with the successful Bernie Mac Show on Fox and appearances in a bunch of movies including Charlie's Angels and Oceans 11. I would have to say my favorite Bernie Mac moment was his appearance in The Kings of Comedy movie, especially his bits about women and taking in his sister's three bad kids (which turned out to be the basis for his TV show). And when it was all said and done, one thing was for sure: he wasn't scared of us motherf***ers.

No comments: