Monday, February 11, 2008

My Thoughts on The Grammys

The Grammy Awards were held last night and it feels like the damn thing is still going on. They should take after MTV and cut this thing down to two hours. It was a decent show (heavy on retro, which was fine with me) but it started to drag. Highlights included:

- Alicia Keys got the show started on a good note, performing a "duet" with old footage of Frank Sinatra. She was looking pretty good. There was no host so she introduced the show and the next act, Carrie Underwood, who I sat up and took notice of for the first time. Of course, a giant wig and hooker boots will get my attention every time. I never thought I would ever say this about Carrie Underwood, but... not bad! Not bad!

- Prince made a surprise appearance in a little red suit. Isn't he tiny and precious? After he presented the award, I bet they just lifted him up and put him back in his little glass display case.

- Rihanna was out next and performed a remixed version of "Umbrella" with Morris Day and The Time. Even Jerome's old ass was there with the mirror. This was great. Rihanna even did the old dance moves with them from "Jungle Love". I was hoping that the show would stop here so they could go out on a high note.

- Kanye West did a great job with "Stronger" and a tribute song to his mother who passed away a couple of months ago. Later in the show, he won an award and in one of the most classless things I've ever seen on an award show, as he was talking about his mother during his speech they played the generic music to go to the next segment. No class. Someone needed to be punched for this.

- Beyonce looked tremendous and did a short medley of her hits before giving the stage to Tina Turner then teaming up with her for "Proud Mary". Tremendous. I'm sure Ike was somewhere looked up at them and smiling.

- Did I really see a country guy come out and do a song about "I'd Like To Check You For Ticks"? What's really going on?

- Rihanna won an award and dragged Jay-Z up to the stage for her acceptance speech. How much do you think Beyonce hates Rihanna? How many times have Jay-Z and Beyonce had the "Look-- if you wanna be with the bitch, you can be with the bitch!" fight?

- Amy Winehouse performed live via satellite from London. I still don't know what to think about this. She looked a mess. Some of it was good, some of it was creepy. At least the dancers had their moves down. She later won an award and was just out of it.

- The show ended with Herbie Hancock winning the best album award. He was complete surprised. I was just happy the thing was over. Decent for the first two hours then it fell off a cliff.

No comments: