Monday, March 31, 2008

The Greatest of All-Time


I started watching professional wrestling some time in the late 70's, beginning with the old Wrestling at the Chase show here in St. Louis. They showcased some of the greatest wrestlers from around the world including Dick the Bruiser, King Kong Brody, Ted DiBiase, Harley Race, and an up and comer by the name of Ric Flair. At the age of 10, I couldn't stand Flair because he was a pretty boy with blonde hair, he cheated and he acted like he was better than everyone else. Flair went on to become the World Champion in 1981 and he always ended up beating all of my favorites like the Von Erichs, Butch Reed, Dusty Rhodes, and Barry Windham. When I made out my little lists of "Most Hated Wrestler", Ric Flair was always on top.


That all changed in 1989. After beating one of my favorites, Ricky Steamboat, for the NWA title, the dastardly Terry Funk sneak attacked Flair and gave him a piledriver through a table. Flair was off TV for weeks and the announcers said that his career was over. Then a couple of months later, Flair returned and gave an emotional speech vowing revenge on Funk. It was on! From that day forward, Flair became my favorite wrestler.


So it was a with a tear in my eye that I watched Ric Flair's last match last night at WrestleMania 24. After a great 35 year career where he was the top performer in the industry for most of that time, he (and Shawn Michaels) pulled out one last great performance on the grandest stage of them all. Sure it was sad, but he went out the way he should; stealing the show and having the best match of the night. It shouldn't have ended any other way. Enjoy your retirement, champ.


(Photo from wwe.com)

No comments: