Sunday, November 23, 2008

Disgraceful


I usually try to keep the tone of Hollywood Nation lighthearted with my usual player-hating and oogling of women, but I have to make an exception with this post. It has to do with the most lowlife and disgraceful company in this country-- World Wrestling Entertainment. This morning I woke up and checked a couple of wrestling sites. All were reporting that WWE's own website had posted an article that wrestler, I'm sorry, "entertainer" Jeff Hardy was found passed out in a Boston hotel stairway and rushed to the hospital. It was even posted in AOL's "Top Stories" section on its homepage. With Hardy's well-known substance abuse history and the fact that seemingly every few months a wrestler passes away, the natural inclination was to think that Jeff Hardy had either died or best case had some kind of drug overdose. Well, it turns out now that the story was part of a storyline for tonight's WWE Survivor Series pay-per-view show.

What kind of decent company pulls this kind of crap? The message boards were filled with posts from worried fans specualting on Hardy's health. I myself had that dreaded "here we go again" feeling. What kind of scumbags would do this to their own customers and fans? What goes through the minds of people like Vince and Stephanie McMahon, because surely one of them had to have signed off on this. Do they think even one step ahead before pulling a stunt like this? Does anyone at the top have any common sense, let alone common deceny? And then they sit and actually wonder why they can't attract high-brow advertisers. This is why! It's an utter disgrace and I'll remember this the next time I consider buying one of their overpriced pay-per-view events, souvenirs, video games, etc. They should be embarrassed but history shows us that I should know better than that.

No comments: