Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thoughts on the BET Awards


- I missed most of the first hour because I was watching the new Family Feud. Al Roker made a fine host. Ice-T and his family were the most entertaining. Raven Symone was all growed up and wearing hooker boots (!). The Joan Rivers family prevailed as the winner. She now looks like that puppet that used to be on the Hollywood Squares.

- In between commercials I caught the phenominal Scary Spice, someone who used to be Lil' Kim, some awful award show banter, and Alicia Keys in a bad wig. Did my eyes deceive me or did I really see En Vogue? I only caught the tailend but I loved it. There were some audio issues with TLC. I'll have to catch the replay to see SWV. I feel all 1995-ish now.

- I saw Kanye West win an award, so at least we won't have to hear him whining about nothing now. Such a talented artist, but very tough to like.

- Lisa Lisa was brought out to present an award. I don't think I've heard from her since 1989. She's blown up a bit. How come they couldn't have had DeBarge and The Jets come out too?

- Solange Knowles (again, why? This broad is on every award show!), that moron Soldja Boy (however he spells it) and a few others encouraged people to register and vote. I wish Boy would register for a f***ing belt.

- The best part of the evening was Al Green getting the lifetime achievement award. In a package recapping his career they said that a life changing experience led him into gospel music ("life changing experience"= "hot grits"). Someone unearthed Maxwell to perform. Where has this brother been for the last ten years? Al took the stage for "Let's Stay Together" and "Love and Happiness" and the crowd went nuts. I was singing along at home. Good stuff.

- After a performance from Nelly and the WW from the Black Eyed Peas, followed by some foolisness by the increasingly annoying Puff Daddy, Alicia Keys won an award for best female performer. She's still with the fat guy! There really is hope.

- The show ended with a performance from the son of Flavor Flav and some filthy looking guy in Pampers. Honestly, as a rap fan who grew up with the likes of Gangstarr, A Tribe Called Quest, and Public Enemy, it's tough to get into Lil' Wayne and T-Pain. When I see Lil' Wayne perform I have the desire to 1) turn down the sound, 2) find him some suspenders or a belt and 3) hope that someone will scrub him down with a luffa for about nine hours. A sad ending to a somewhat decent show.

No comments: