Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Random Thoughts on the WWE Draft


I thought the WWE Draft last night was actually pretty good and noteworthy, but of course it all got overshadowed at the end by another angle centering around Vince McMahon. The million dollar set collapsing on Vince was so ridiculous that I was laughing through it ("Paul, I can't feel my legs"). I suppose this is their way out of the giveaway without losing face. I wonder if this will lead to an amnesia angle or a whodunit. Can't wait. At least the Million Dollar Giveaway is over though. Vince looked like an idiot when he told a caller that she had the wrong password and Kelly Kelly of all people had to correct him (very nice looking young lady, but could stand some dance lessons).

As far as the draft, there were bigger names than I thought switching sides. This will be Rey Mysterio's first time as a regular on Raw. C.M. Punk is coming to the big time. At least Triple H is finally off Raaw, which is a breath of fresh air. Oh great, Kane is back on Mondays. I guess the ECW title is too big for the ECW show. ECW got buried. I thought Matt Hardy was on the verge of a push, but now he has been solidified in the mid-card. I felt bad for Jim Ross going to Smackdown and you could see the disappointment on his face because he legit did not want this. They only did this because they like to mess with people. He and Mick Foley (who makes an excellent color commentator) will make a great team though (if Ross doesn't walk out). Ideally, they could have all six announcers out there for all the shows because they were so funny last night, especially Tazz, who could just see that ECW was being buried.

Overall, it was a good show with lots of surprises. I think the shows will be freshened up by these moves (although I wouldn't be surprised to see Ross and Cole get traded back). Jericho is on a roll and Vickie Guerrero is great. I think this set up the short-term future pretty nicely. Hopefully they won't over-do whatever this Vince angle is. Also, in three weeks they couldn't have tossed me a cut of that three million?

No comments: